New School of Music
- The New School of Music is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit community music school founded in 2013.
- Open to students of all ages and all styles of music
- We teach in co-locations:
- Cascade Studios
- Cedars International Academy, preK-7 (charter school)
- Cedars International Next Generation High School (charter school)
- We scholarship underserved children (preK-12th grade), up to 50% of our total enrollment.
- We have provided over 4500 lessons in the greater Austin area to over 120 underserved children (scholarship value is $135K).
- Music education is proven to improve cognitive skills such as math, science, and language – in addition to artistic creativity and self-expression.
- Refer to http://www.childrensmusicworkshop.com/advocacy/ for a multitude of examples
- We provide world-class jazz & blues masterclasses, workshops, and concerts in the Austin area. Previous clinicians/ performers include Don Braden, Andre Hayward, Tom Brechtlein, Eddie Gomez Trio, Alex Coke, Murali Coryell, Ernie Durawa, Mike Flanigin, Sue Foley, Chris Layton, and Denny Freeman.
- We have received matching grants for our programs from the City of Austin, Cultural Arts Division, and the Texas Commission of the Arts, and a Google Ads Grant.
- We are working toward creating a music charter school, New School Music + Tech Academy, in northeast Austin, with a focus on Music + Tech + Business. The curriculum would be within the Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, & Math initiative.
- Texas Jazz & Blues Camp, is a partnership between the New School of Music and the Litchfield Jazz Camp & Festival in Connecticut (the oldest and largest on the east coast)
- June 2019 is our 4th year of the camp, and we plan to add a residential camp option next year.
- We have world class instructors, including:
- Don Braden, a world-renowned jazz educator and performer, who is the Jazz Music Director for both the Texas Jazz Camp & the Litchfield Jazz Camp. Don is a Harvard alumnus who is based in the NYC area, & is a former sideman with Wynton Marsalis, Freddie Hubbard, Tony Williams, Roy Haynes and others.
- Andre Hayward is a consummate jazz artist & educator who has performed extensively with The Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra (directed by Wynton Marsalis),Chick Corea, Jason Moran, San Francisco Jazz Collective, Roy Hargrove, and Betty Carter. Andre has served as jazz trombone professor at New England Conservatory, NYU, UNT, UT Austin, New School of Jazz & Contemporary Music (NYC), and Michigan State University.
- Tom Brechtlein is a renowned world-class drummer who has achieved remarkable success in jazz, rock, and pop genres and has performed/recorded with Chick Corea, Wayne Shorter, Al Di Meola, Robben Ford, Eric Johnson, Joe Farrell, Jean Luc Ponty, Rickie Lee Jones, Kenny Loggins, and The Manhattan Transfer.
To serve the community by sharing the gift of music, through connecting world-class professional musicians with students of all ages, in a lifelong study and enjoyment of music – while helping provide music instruction to underserved youth.