New School of Music
- The New School of Music is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit community music school founded in 2013.
- Open to students of all ages and all styles of music
- We teach in co-locations:
- St Martin’s Lutheran Church
- Cedars International Academy, preK-7 (charter school)
- Cedars International Next Generation High School (charter school)
- We scholarship underserved children (preK-12th grade), up to 50% of our total enrollment.
- We have provided over 4500 lessons in the greater Austin area to over 120 underserved children (scholarship value is $135K).
- Music education is proven to improve cognitive skills such as math, science, and language – in addition to artistic creativity and self-expression.
- o Refer to http://www.childrensmusicworkshop.com/advocacy/ for a multitude of examples
- We provide world-class jazz & blues masterclasses, workshops, and concerts in the Austin area. Previous clinicians/ performers include Don Braden, Andre Hayward, Tom Brechtlein, Eddie Gomez Trio, Peggy Stern, Alex Coke, Murali Coryell, Ernie Durawa, Mike Flanigin, Sue Foley, Chris Layton, and Denny Freeman.
- We have received matching grants for our programs from the City of Austin, Cultural Arts Division, Texas Commission of the Arts, and Google Ads.
- We are working toward creating a music charter school, New School Music + Tech Academy, in northeast Austin, with a focus on Music + Tech + Business. The curriculum would be within the Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, & Math initiative.
- June 2022 will be our 5th year of the camp, and have world-class instructors, including:
- Don Braden, , world-class jazz educator and saxophonist, is our camp Music Director and has toured extensively with Wynton Marsalis, Freddie Hubbard, Tony Williams, Betty Carter, & Roy Haynes. Don is a Harvard alumnus and is the Director of the Harvard University Jazz Combo Initiative.
- Andre Hayward is a consummate jazz artist & educator who has performed extensively with The Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra (directed by Wynton Marsalis),Chick Corea, Jason Moran, San Francisco Jazz Collective, Roy Hargrove, and Betty Carter. Andre has served as jazz trombone professor at New England Conservatory, NYU, UNT, UT Austin, New School of Jazz & Contemporary Music (NYC), and Michigan State University.
- Tom Brechtlein is an internationally renowned drummer who has achieved remarkable success in jazz, rock, and pop genres and has performed/recorded with Chick Corea, Wayne Shorter, Al Di Meola, Robben Ford, Eric Johnson, Joe Farrell, Jean Luc Ponty, Rickie Lee Jones, Kenny Loggins, and The Manhattan Transfer.
- Blue Jazz Festival is also a partnership between the New School of Music.
- Our festival features some of the best performers & educators in jazz and blues, and previous performers include: Don Braden, Andrew Hayward, Jewel Brown, Murali Coryell, Ernie Durawa, Jay Tillman, and others.
- June 2020 will be our 2nd year of the festival, and will feature local and national jazz & blues artists.
To serve the community by sharing the gift of music, through connecting world-class professional musicians with students of all ages, in a lifelong study and enjoyment of music – while helping provide music instruction to underserved youth.
Richard Spencer, MBA, MME, Executive Director, enroll@NewSchoolOfMusic.net